terça-feira, 26 de abril de 2011

Toxic companies – Take 15


Bullying! What means that?

In toxic companies what we have is a bullying atmosphere. Most of the times we don’t know what practices can be considered as bullying. Recently, Career Builder Study Finds has made a study that has cleared some doubts.

«Looking at age, 29 percent of workers age 55 or older and 29 percent of workers age 24 or younger reported they had been bullied on the job, the highest among age groups. Workers age 35 to 44 were the least likely to report feeling bullied at 25 percent.
The most common culprit is typically the boss, according to the survey. Fourteen percent of workers felt bullied by their immediate supervisor while 11 percent felt bullied by a co-worker. Seven percent said the bully was not their boss, but someone else higher up in the organization while another 7 percent said the bully was their customer.»

Now take a look what is considered bullying by workers:
• My comments were dismissed or not acknowledged – 43 percent
• I was falsely accused of mistakes I didn’t make – 40 percent
• I was harshly criticized – 38 percent
• I was forced into doing work that really wasn’t my job – 38 percent
• Different standards and policies were used for me than other workers – 37 percent
• I was given mean looks – 31 percent
• Others gossiped about me – 27 percent
• My boss yelled at me in front of other co-workers – 24 percent
• Belittling comments were made about my work during meetings – 23 percent
• Someone else stole credit for my work – 21 percent

This survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive© on behalf of CareerBuilder among 5,671 U.S. workers (employed full-time; not self-employed; non government); ages 18 and over between February 21 and March 10, 2011»

Then, something that surprised me a lot:
«Although bullies can be intimidating, nearly half of workers (47 percent) said they confronted the bully about his/her actions. Of these workers, 43 percent said the bullying stopped, 13 percent reported the bullying became worse while 44 percent said the bullying stayed the same.»

In all of my work experience, I noticed that bullying became worse after a confrontation. I never saw an improvement after a confrontation. Bullies always do what they do intentionally. Anyway, this survey brings us something more detailed and useful.