sexta-feira, 7 de outubro de 2011

We need authenticity like water



Manfred Kets de Vries is really a great thinker. He describes the reality in a kind of high resolution way. One of these days I caught some written words about authenticity. I thought it was difficult to define that word, but De Vries showed how so simple is making an HD picture with some characters. What is an authentic person? What human authenticity is? Why is so important? Then I notice in what extent authenticity deals with human life. Yes, human life, not only in relationships. Let’s take a look at professor De Vries words:

«(…) And we’ve had some very bad examples of leadership lately (…). I realise the importance of authenticity in my own life and the lives of others. I have seen how easy it is for someone to follow a route to self-deception and illusion. Fooling ourselves, as many of us learn the hard way, isn’t sustainable in the long run. (…)

To me, being authentic implies being honest, truthful with myself and others, living... with my own values and principles, and experiencing a sense of meaning in what I’m doing. Authenticity implies a willingness to accept what I am and not attempt to pass for something or someone else. Authenticity means not only trusting my strengths but also my weaknesses and being patient with my imperfections. It has to do with having the courage to say how things are, to say no, to face the truth, and to do the right thing because it is right. (…)

In searching for the meaning of life, we’re really aiming to feel alive. We want our experiences, the external reality, to resonate with our internal reality. Only when our personal activities are consistent with our values, commitments, and other important elements of our concept of ourselves will meaning be attained.»

Wise words from a sage man